Friday, February 25, 2011

Misconception #4: Native American hoop dancers are uneducated

Native American hoop dancers are often very educated.

Of all the adult American Indian  hoop dancers I know, every one of them has attended an university.  Of the dancers that have not reached college age, they are growing up in families that emphasizes education. 

I, myself, am an honors student.  Outside of classes, I spend at least 5 times more hours studying per week than practicing my hoop dancing (although I think both are important.)

The nature of hoop dancing requires a lot of concentration, math, memory, multi-tasking, planning, and focus.  These are traits that help people succeed in school too.  It is not very surprising that Native American hoop dancers are often educated.

From my: Top 10 Native American Hoop Dancing Misconceptions

No comments:

Post a Comment